শনিবার, ৩ নভেম্বর, ২০১২

In the Kitchen With: Food from Around the World (Best of) | Design ...


For the next five days, my husband and I are in Istanbul exploring new food and a new culture. I love looking for recipes from the locales I?ve visited so that I can make a few dishes at home whenever I?m missing those places. I also like finding recipes of the places I?d like to visit, as a kind of a daydream. In honor of my traveling mind and palate, this week is a round-up of recipes from some of the places I?ve visited, and some of the places I dream of visiting. Be on the lookout for something Turkish soon! Below is a cup of boza, a Turkish drink made of fermented bulgur, water and sugar (topped with cinnamon and toasted chickpeas). ??Kristina


Illustrator Yvette van Boven gave us a modern take on the traditional Dutch?Bitterballen last year, normally made with shredded beef. While visiting the Netherlands, I had a version made with asparagus! My true longing from that trip, however, is the bossche bollen from Den Bosch. Calling all Dutch pastry-makers . . .

See the links to more recipes after the jump . . .


I envy everyone who has had the opportunity to visit India. I think it must be one of the most beautiful places on earth.?Tara O?Brady shared her own take on the Indian vegetable fritter, Pakora. Until I can take the trip, this will appear on my table from time to time.


Vietnam, another dream destination of mine. When I think of food heaven, Vietnam is definitely one of the places that would be there. Food blogger Giao Trac has provided some of the most popular recipes on the column. Her?Vietnamese Spring Roll recipe is one of them.


Lebanon was our first-choice destination for this trip, but we put it on hold for now. In the meantime, I continue to take notes and learn as much as I can about the food so that when I go, I can hit the ground running (or eating, as it were). Food writer, journalist and art collector Anissa Helou, born to Syrian and Lebanese parents, gave me the perfect learning opportunity with her recipes for Syrian or Lebanese Muhammarah (pepper spread), Persian Borani-e B?denj?n (onion and eggplant dip) and Whole-wheat Crackers with Mastic.


Brazil! I should start saving now for the 2016 Olympics so I can visit and have a blast. Brazilian food blogger?Patricia Scarpin shared her mother?s Carrot Cake recipe with us. It?s carrot cake with a chocolate twist, and it is very good. A must-make for your next after-tea.


On par with India, I believe Mexico is an incredibly beautiful, diverse country with rich culinary diversity. Those are just three reasons I?d love to visit. I got a head start on my trip when blogger Yvette Marquez Sharpnack shared a recipe for Salpicon, cold shredded beef salad, and when Santa Barbara-based photographer Raya Carlisle shared her recipe for Guacamole.


This particular Falafel recipe, by the food stylist and food photographer team that make up Matkonation, is Israeli; however, I would love to visit any (and every) country where falafel is a regular street-food staple.


Dumplings are one of my favorite foods. When I?m back in the United States, I usually eat them until they come out of my ears, but I?d love to taste the dumplings in China, Korea and Japan.?Rasa Malaysia?s Bee Yinn Low?s Pan-Fried Pork, Shrimp and Cabbage Dumplings and Andrea Nguyen?s Vegan Wontons are perfect when you?re in the mood for dumplings.


Who can resist a jelly doughnut?! I used to think it was just an American thing but was thrilled when food blogger Luisa Weiss offered her recipe for Berliner Pfannkuchen, or Berlin jelly doughnuts! The cinnamon sugar on the outside is a great introduction to this tasty sweet made with plum jam.

Source: http://www.designsponge.com/2012/11/in-the-kitchen-with-food-from-somewhere-else-best-of.html

aaliyah Empire State Building shooting Republican National Convention Karlie Redd guild wars 2 adrian gonzalez Jerry Nelson

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন